Structuring Team Projects

Mar 26, 2007 at 3:26 PM
Hello team,

I just wanted to say thanks for the great articles and informative videos. Our company is implementing TFS and it is good to know how to structure our projects to get the most out of TFS. Great stuff, thanks.

I do have a question though in relation to the Team Projects. Our company has several clients for which we have multiple projects for, often unrelated. My experience with TFS to date shows me that you cannot create a hierarchy of team projects. So I was wondering what conventions you would use in this instance? What we have in VSS mimics something like this:

/Company ABC
/ Project 1
/ Source
/ Project 2
/ Source
/ Company XYZ
/ Project 3
etc..

In TFS, it would seem, this grouping cannot be done. Instead I would have to create something like this:

$CompanyABCProject1
/ Main
/ Source
$CompanyABCProject2
/ Main
/ Source
$CompanyXYZProject3
/ Main
/ Source

I am just curious if this is how you would approach it? It seems to me that you could get an awfully long list of team sites and many SharePoint portals together in a very short time.

Also, another thing that I have questions about is if you have hundreds of projects, creating a Team Site is sometimes not warranted. We often have smaller projects that don't require this level of sophistication. What recommendations can you make for these?

Regards,
Stephen
Coordinator
Sep 7, 2007 at 12:08 AM
You could create a team project for each company and then create solutions within that project to cover each sub-project, however it has the following drawbacks:
  • All solutions within the team project would share the same process template and sharepoint portal
  • You would have to create an Area for each sub-project in order to assign work items correctly

To answer your second question - yes you can create a custom process template that doesn't include the sharepoint portal. For more information see:
http://www.codeplex.com/VSTSGuidance/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Consider%20using%20a%20minimal%20process%20template
http://www.codeplex.com/VSTSGuidance/Wiki/View.aspx?title=How%20to%20create%20a%20minimal%20process%20template